We visited the Hamptons this weekend for another film festival, this time for the world premiere of Free Ride. Joining Simply Moyer was the unstoppable Mary, a Stephen Moyer fan that’s traveled from New Jersey to California, Toronto and now New York to be among the first to view Steve in all his glory.
The Hamptons International Film Festival was a very low key event compared to the one last month in Toronto. No thousands of screaming fans, no paparazzi hanging out by the dozens, no standing in line for 2 plus hours to view a movie you bought tickets for in advance. Nope, this was a film festival that gave you the chance to have conversations with the actors, directors and producers of films you had an interest in.
We had looked forward to not only having the chance to finally view CASM Films’ first production, but we also knew Anna Paquin was scheduled to attend the viewing. How bummed were we when just a couple of days before HIFF began Simply Moyer was informed that Anna wouldn’t be attending, as she had to cancel last minute, but … wait for it … Steve was expected to not only attend but introduce the movie and be part of a Q&A after it. Disappointment and excitement all wrapped together.
Lets get to the highlights and the things that left us bumming at HIFF. Firstly, there really weren’t any negative aspects to the trip … except, I wish you all could have been there … you would have loved it. So, on with the highlights:
- David Duchovny and Timothy Hutton hanging out by us without being rushed by fans … cool!
- Steve and Mark Larkin arriving and being dropped off next to us … cool!
- Mary greeting Mark and congratulating Steve on CASM’s first film … cool!
- Steve not introducing the film, but the writer/director, Shana Betz doing it instead … bummer, but cool too. I mean, it is her story.
- Shana Betz receiving the Tangerine Entertainment Juice Award for Free Ride … cool!
- Steve being a part of the Q&A … cool!
- Everyone being invited to visit with Steve, Mark and Shana after the Q&A … very cool! And yet, very few of the audience took them up on the offer. Are they fucking crazy or just locals from the Hamptons? I’m going with the second.
Two things that stood out:
- During the Q&A Steve talked about being shown the Free Ride script and being offered a role and instead he thought of Anna for the lead. Shana Betz interrupted him and told the audience “He actually said, ‘Has my Anna seen this?” Steve seemed somewhat embarrassed, saying, “Whatever …” It was a very sweet moment and the audience laughed. Shana said to him, “But it was so cute!” He then said after showing the script to Anna’s agent, and having her agree to do it, he backed out.
- While talking to Mark Larkin he shared the news that Team CASM will be recreating last years endeavor of raising funds for Movember. Yes Ladies, we’ve got some staches coming our way! I know some of y’all don’t appreciate the facial fur, but there are many among you who surely do, as you’ve been sending us your inquires. So, the Men of CASM will once again be showing us their manly skills of facial reforestation. If you’ve forgotten any of the guys involved in this worldwide fundraiser, feast your eyes on some pics from last year.